Some publications by lab staff, partners, and PIs relate to research and projects aligned
to Fish Innovation Lab interests but were not supported by Fish Innovation Lab funding.
- Allred, S., Shao, W., Schilling, M. W., Petrie-Hanson, L., & Allen, P. J. (2019). An assessment of red fillet prevalence in the catfish industry. Aquaculture, 507, 203-210. doi: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.04.020.
- Allred, S., Ciaramella, M., Schilling, M. W., Petrie-Hanson, L., & Allen, P. J. (2019, March). Catfish responses to pond and harvest stressors and consequences for muscle quality. Paper presented at the meeting of the World Aquaculture Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Carvalho, P. G., Jupiter, S. D., Januchowski-Hartley, F. A., Goetze, J., Claudet, J., Weeks, R., Humphries, A., & White, C. (2019). Optimized fishing through periodically harvested closures. Journal of Applied Ecology, 56, 1927-1936. doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.13417. Available at https://buff.ly/2MmaQRo
- Chesser, B. M., Green, C. C., & Allen, P. J. (2019). Egg production of Gulf Killifish is dependent on broodstock rearing density but not spawning substrate surface area. North American Journal of Aquaculture. doi: 10.1002/naaq.10087.
- Chesser, B., & Allen, P. J. (2019). Effect of broodstock density and spawning substrate surface area on reproductive output of Gulf Killifish in commercial-scale recirculating aquaculture systems. Paper presented at the meeting of the World Aquaculture Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Dey, M. M. (2019, December 27). Value chains in aquaculture and fisheries in Bangladesh: Recent advances and future research directions [Invited keynote presentation]. Fisheries Society of Bangladesh Biannual Conference, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- Failler, P., & Hussain, M. G. (2019, May 9). A brief on EU-BGD joint collaboration on Blue Economy in Bangladesh [blog post]. Available at https://buff.ly/2VKXQoJ.
- Failler, P., & Hussain, M. G. (2019). Policy interventions for the development of the Blue Economy in Bangladesh. Journal of Ocean and Coastal Economics, 6(2). Available at https://doi.org/10.15351/2373-8456.1099
- Guy, E. L., Mischke, C. C., Colvin, M. E., Allen, P. J. (2019). Zooplankton selectivity by Black Buffalo in fertilized ponds. North American Journal of Aquaculture. doi: 10.1002/naaq.10089.
- Guy, E. L., Menghe H., Mischke, C. C., Colvin, M., & Allen, P. J. (2019). Spawning and rearing suckers: lessons from Black Buffalo. Paper presented at the meeting of the World Aquaculture Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Humphries, A. (2020, February 24). Working towards ecosystem health solutions in Kenya [Presentation]. University of California, Santa Cruz Coastal Science and Policy Seminar Series, Santa Cruz, CA.
- Humphries, A. T., Gorospe, K. D., Carvalho, P.G., Yulianto, I., Kartawaijaya, T., Campbell, S. (2019). Catch composition and selectivity of fishing gears in a multi-species Indonesian coral reef fishery. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6(378). Available at https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2019.00378/full
- Hussain, G., Kohinoor, A., Rahman, M., Rahman, Z, & Nguyeh, N. H. (2019, April 12). Bangladesh’s tilapia aquaculture industry shows resilience: Recent successes traced to genetically improved farmed tilapia, effective fry dissemination [blog post]. Available at https://tilapialoversociety.com/2019/04/12/bangladeshs-tilapia-aquaculture-industry-shows-resilience-gulam-hussain-ph-d-ahm-kohinoor-ph-d-mr-moshiur-rahman-zillur-rahman-and-nguyen-hong-nguyen-ph-d/
- Hussain, M. G. (2019, October 29). Improved breeding and farming practices of tilapia in Bangladesh [blog post]. Available at https://tilapialoversociety.com/2019/10/29/improved-breeding-and-farming-practices-of-tilapia-in-bangladesh-m-gulam-hussain/?fbclid=IwAR1qCywLx0Vj6rSEez_Fq4pVqB_SobQ7zYSqw5033cKo_RZvo916d1oXjUw
Hussain, M. G. (2019, November 2). Sustainable aquaculture and fisheries development in Bangladesh: Country needs and sectoral priorities [Keynote presentation]. Bangladesh Fisheries Research Forum Sustainable Aquaculture and Fisheries Development in Bangladesh: Country Needs and Sectoral Priorities seminar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Hussain, M. G. (2019, December 26). Aquaculture and fisheries sector in Bangladesh: Overview and government priorities [Paper presentation]. Challenges, Needs and Potentials of Aquaculture and Fisheries in Bangladesh seminar, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Hussain, M. G. (2019, December 27). Potentials of marine fisheries and mariculture under the concept of blue economy development in Bangladesh [Keynote presentation]. Fisheries Society of Bangladesh Biennial Conference, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, M. G., Failler, P., & Sarker, S. (2019). Future importance of maritime activities in Bangladesh. Journal of Ocean and Coastal Economics, (6)2, Article 3. Available at https://doi.org/10.15351/2373-8456.1104
- Hussain, M. G., Uddin, S. A., & Failler, P. (2019). Potentials for the development of blue economy: Prospects and challenges of mariculture in Bangladesh. Journal of Bangladesh, 9(1), 7-21.
- Iannotti, L. (2019, May). Of Shores & Savannas: Evolutionary aspects of animal source food nutrition. Presentation at the Aligning the Food System for Improved Nutrition in Animal Source Foods conference, Davis, CA. Slides available at https://nasfc.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk6461/files/inline-files/Lora%20Iannotti.pdf
- Iannotti, L. (2019, June). Effective pathways towards reducing chronic malnutrition. In Ensuring children’s cognitive and physical development through animal source foods. Symposium conducted by Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems, Washington DC.
- Iannotti, L. (2019, June). Lulun II: Follow-up cohort study. In Young child nutrition, eggs, and poultry production. Symposium conducted at the annual conference of the American Society for Nutrition.
Khan, M. A. (2019, December 26). Economics of rohu based carp polyculture in Bangladesh: Efficiency, yield gap and nutritional perspectives [Paper presentation]. Challenges, Needs and Potential of Aquaculture and Fisheries in Bangladesh workshop, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Khan, M. A., & Alam, M. S. (2020, March 5). Economics of rohu (Labeo rohita) based carp polyculture in Bangladesh and necessity for genetic improvement programs [Guest lecture]. Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS.
- Kolbila, R., Ragsdale, K., Marinda, P., Read-Wahidi, M., Pincus, L, & Torell, E. (2019, October). Fish4Zambia: Research to close fish consumption and nutrition gaps in Zambia. Presentation at the 2019 Mississippi State University Graduate Research Symposium, Mississippi State, MS.
- Lawrence, M. (2019, March). Use of essential oils as alternative treatment to control Edwardsiella ictaluri infection in catfish. Presentation at the World Aquaculture Society annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Lawrence, M. (2019, May). Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Fish: Advancing the fish value chain and human nutrition. Presentation at the WorldFish-USAID Knowledge Sharing Session, Washington, DC.
- Lawrence, M., Elhassan, O., Arthur, R., Hanson, L., Gaunt, P., Bin, H., & Sharan, V. (2019, July). Lightning talks. In T. Pesek (Moderator), Aquaculture biosecurity: The invisible threat of antimicrobial resistance. Congressional briefing hosted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Mississippi State University Global Center for Aquatic Food Security, Washington, DC.
- Lawrence, M. (2019, September). Improved nutrition security through increased access to and consumption of fish. In Accessing innovation lab food security & resilience innovations. Presentation at the annual meeting of the Feed the Future Innovation Labs, Washington, DC.
- Lawrence, M. (2019, October 7). Microbial genomics as a tool for vaccine development [seminar]. University of Alabama at Birmingham Department of Biology, Birmingham, AL.
- Marinda, P., Noelle, N., Genschick, S., & Thilsted, S.H. (2020, February 24-25). The potential contribution of small fish to dietary nutrient adequacy and nutritional status of women of reproductive age and under-five children in Zambia [Poster presentation]. Nutrition-Sensitive Fish Agri-Food Systems Workshop, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Marinda, P., Ragsdale, K., Read-Wahidi, M.R., Kolbila, R., Pincus, L., & Torell, E. (2020, February 24). Fish4Zambia: Research to close fish consumption and nutrition gaps in Zambia’s Lake Bangweulu region [Oral presentation]. Nutrition-Sensitive Fish Agri-Food Systems Workshop, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Omer, A.R., Henderson, J., Falconer, L., Kroger, R., & Allen, P. J. (2019). Economic costs of using tailwater recovery systems for maintaining water quality and irrigation. Journal of Environmental Management. doi: 10.1016/j/jenvman.2019.01.038.
- Patil, P. G., Virdin, J., Colgan, C. S., Hussain, M. G., Failler, P., & Veigh, T. (2019). Initial measures of the economic activity linked to Bangladesh’s ocean space, and implications for the country’s Blue Economy policy objectives. Journal of Ocean and Coastal Economics, 6(2). Available at https://doi.org/10.15351/2373-8456.1119
- Patil, P. G., Virdin, J., Colgan, C. S., Hussain, M. G., Failler, P., & Veigh, T. (2020). Initial measures of the economic activity linked to Bangladesh's ocean space, and implications for the country's blue economy policy objectives. Journal of Indian Ocean Rim Studies, 3(1), 1-13. https://buff.ly/347atRr
- Ragsdale, K., Kolbila, R., Marinda, P., Read-Wahidi, M.R., Pincus, L., Torell, E. (2020, March 17-21). Fish4Zambia preliminary results: Exploring food insecurity among men and women in Zambia’s Lake Bangweulu region. Accepted Oral Presentation for the Society for Applied Anthropology Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM. [conference canceled due to COVID-19]
- Ragsdale, K., Marinda, P., Read-Wahidi, M., Pincus, L., Torell, E., & Kolbila, R. (2020, June). Fish4Zambia: Exploring food insecurity among fishing value chain actors at Lake Bangweulu. Accepted poster presentation for the Fourth International Conference on Global Food Security, Montpellier, France. [conference canceled due to COVID-19]
- Stewart, C., Caswell, B., Iannotti, L., Lutter, C., Arnold, C., Chipatala, R., Prado, E., & Maleta, K. (2019). The effect of eggs on early child growth in rural Malawi: The Mazira Project randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, nqz163. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqz163.
- Stewart, H. A., Aboagye, D. L., Ramee, S. W., & Allen, P. J. (2019). Effects of acute thermal stress on acid-base regulation, haematology, ion-osmoregulation and aerobic metabolism in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Aquaculture Research. doi: 10.111/are.14093.
- Surathkal, P., & Dey, M. M. (2019). Import penetration and price relationships: An empirical analysis of the U.S. catfish market. Aquaculture Economics & Management. Available at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13657305.2019.1699199
- Torell, E., Bilecki, D., Owusu, A., Crawford, B., Beran, K., & Kent, K. (2019). Assessing the impacts of gender integration in Ghana's fisheries sector. Coastal Management, doi: 10.1080/08920753.2019.1669098. Available at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/08920753.2019.1669098?needAccess=true
- Torell, E. C., Jamu, D. M., Kanyere, G. Z., Chiwaula, L., Nagoli, J., Kambewa, P., Brooks, A., & Freeman, P. (2020). Assessing the economic impacts of post-harvest fisheries losses in Malawi. World Development Perspectives, 19. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2452292920300461?via%3Dihub
Wamukota, A. (2020, January 9). SecureFish Kenya [Presentation]. Annual Fishers Forum, Diani, Kenya.
Wamukota, A. (2020, March 12). SecureFish Kenya [Presentation]. Unlocking a Resilient Blue Economy in Mombasa, Kenya, workshop organized by CordIo EA/IUCN, Mombasa, Kenya.
Yossa, R., Gatlin, D., Greiling, A.M., Komugisha Basiita, R., Sakala, M.E., Baumgartner, W., Corace, D., & Taylor, A. (2020, March 19) Field Notes - Replacement of fisheries-derived fishmeal with yeast-derived proteins for sustainable aquaculture in Zambia. The Chicago Council on Global Affairs Global Food for Thought. https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/blog/global-food-thought/field-notes-…